The New York Screenplay Contest is a global screenwriting contest designed to launch careers and provide recognition and network opportunities to the world's best new voices in screenwriting for film and television. The New York Screenplay Contest awards its winners with cash, prizes, sponsorship packages, and meetings with leading industry professionals.
December 20, 2012 (early); March 20, 2013 (regular);
June 20, 2013 (late); August 20, 2013 (extended)
Short Length (under 70 pages) $25 / Feature Length (over 70 pages) $35 (by December 20, 2012);
Short Length (under 70 pages) $35 / Feature Length (over 70 pages) $45 (by March 20, 2013);
Short Length (under 70 pages) $45 / Feature Length (over 70 pages) $55 (by June 20, 2013);
Short Length (under 70 pages) $55 / Feature Length (over 70 pages) $65 (by August 20, 2013)
Days till final deadline: 87
WinningScripts Pro $10 Off Coupon
Notification: September 20, 2013
- All scripts should be written in English and submitted electronically via our online entry form in one of the following formats: .PDF (preferred), Final Draft, Movie Magic Screenwriter, Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, or Text.
- You may submit your entry by mail. Use our electronic form to walk you through the process.
- All mailed in entries must be mailed and postmarked by the applicable Entry Deadline.
- Screenplay entries submitted by mail should be clearly marked with the Submission Tracking Number issued by our electronic entry system.
- All Entry fees must be paid in U.S. dollars.
- Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
- Judges and employees who work for the New York Screenplay Contest are not eligible to enter the competition, nor are their affiliates or immediate family members.
- Screenplays written by up to five people may be entered in the contest. Only one entry fee is required for such entries. All writers' names should be listed on the online entry form. All writers must authorize submission of the entry. By submitting online to the New York Screenplay Contest, all writers authorize the submission. If a screenplay is written by multiple authors, all cash awards will be split equally between the writers. If a screenplay is written by multiple writers, prizes will be divided at the writers' discretion.
- Entrants to the New York Screenplay Contest retain all rights to their screenplays.
- The competition is not responsible for submissions that are lost, stolen, or damaged in transit, and we cannot return scripts once they have been submitted. Please retain an original copy of your screenplay.
- Once a script has been entered into competition, we will not accept substitutions or revised drafts. If you wish to submit a revised draft of your script, you must enter it as a new submission.
- The New York Screenplay Contest will not share your screenplay with anyone except the official judges of the competition.
- By entering the New York Screenplay Contest, you represent that your entry is your original work, and does not infringe on the copyright or other rights of other people.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Submissions must be the original work of the applicant. Entries may be adapted from the applicant's own work.
- Decisions of the Judges are final and may not be disputed. The Judges will adhere to our screenwriting contest guidelines and standard judging criteria; however, the contest and its administrators may not be held responsible for any errors or omissions on the part of the Judges.
- You agree to indemnify and hold us (including our employees, officers, shareholders, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, co-branders or other partners) harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by you or any third party due to or arising out of project(s) you submit, transmit or make available to our awards competition.
- The New York Screenplay Contest reserves the right to make any necessary changes to deadlines, dates, rules, and scheduling.
- By submitting a project to the New York Screenplay Contest, you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to all of the Rules and Conditions and that you are duly authorized to submit your project to competition.
This year's New York Screenplay Contest will see over $10,000 in cash and prizes presented to the Winners and Official Finalists of the competition!
The New York Screenplay Contest awards and recognizes only the most finely written screenplays with distinction in four exclusive award tiers.
The judges will select one Grand Prize Winner for each official competition category along with an overall Grand Jury Prize Winner selected as the very best project from among all the competition categories. This is the contest's highest and most distinguished honor.
2nd and 3rd place awards are also presented in each of the main competition categories, the Empire Award and the Park Avenue Award, respectively.
In addition, up to 10 Official Finalists will be selected in each of the main competition categories at the discretion of the judges.
Most importantly, we will promote your winning script with a targeted press release through our PR firm to Hollywood trade publications, the entertainment media, and our exclusive industry list of hundreds of production companies, producers, executives, and literary agents.
To preserve the prestige and exclusivity of the awards, only a maximum of 13 projects per competition category are honored with awards.
Writers who have queued this contest have also queued: