CSSC Winners Announced
Jesse & Zachary Herrmann have been named co-winners of the Candiania Short Screenplay Competition for their short film script "Elijah the Prophet".
The screenplay, as penned by the Brooklyn, NY natives, tells the tale of Elijah, the pious, chummy and alcoholic prophet, whose yearly antics have graced Jewish households for ages. Unfortunately for the childlike servant of God, not everyone understands drunk driving is, for him, a divine right.
Thirteen short film scripts and writers as determined by the competition judges were vying for the top prize during the Golden Sheaf Awards gala as part of the Yorkton Film Festival Saturday night.
As co-grand prize-winner, the Herrmann's received the coveted Writers' Block Crystal in addition to $2,500 and an Apple iPad, while 2nd place honours went to Canadian Ira Henderson's "Strange Music", about a young music student in the big city who develops a relationship, through music, with a neighbour they have never actually met. Third place standing went to UK writer Sundae Jahant-Osborn's "13", a whacky comedy thriller about an obsessive nerd who's sure he hears voices calling out to him - and him only, from the other side of a forbidding fence. Henderson and Jahant-Osborn will each receive $500 and $100 cash prizes, respectively.
The announcement was made official and the writers honoured during the Golden Sheaf Awards gala at the Yorkton Film Festival, May 28, 2011 in Yorkton, SK.
The 2010/11 CSSC Top 13 finalists in order of judges ranking are:
1. "Elijah The Prophet", Jesse & Zachary Herrmann USA
2. "Strange Music", Ira Henderson CAN
3. "13?, Sundae Jahant-Osborn UK
4. "The Ridge to the River", Edmund Jory AUS
5. "Tubby's Car Project", Julian Williams UK
6. "The Great Ghouldini", Ian Johnston CAN
7. "When The Dust Settles", Suleiman Wali USA
8. "Sudden Death", Al Kline USA
9. "Near Sighted", Evan Jobb, CAN
10. "Shattered Worlds", Matthew Layden CAN
11. "Mother Will Be So Pleased", Carrie Ann Lee USA
12. "The Chicken and the Egg", Lisa Eismen AUS
13. "The Box Social", Scott Summerhayes CAN